Monday, December 29, 2008
Monday, December 22, 2008
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
This month I've read 4 Jodi Picoult novels, I just start reading one and i cant stop, then I have to pick up another one. It started with My Sisters Keeper when I was at Barnes and Noble I text'd my friend Kim and asked her for a book suggestion. When I was done with the book I found myself sitting cross legged on the toilet seat cover sobbing. Not all the books so emotional but they are all great. I let Heather borrow My Sisters Keeper, she just happened to finish it last night and text'd me this morning asking me why I put her through that, even though she loved it too. Ironicly Picoult was in Phoenix on her tour tonight and it was easy to get Heather to come with me! She spoke for about an hour about a few of her novels and interesting senerios from her research (with she is very good at, it shows in her books).
We got to meet the author, get our picture taken and books signed.
It was a fun night!
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
I guess we knew when the Washington Redskins lost last night that a republican wouldn't move to 1600 Pennsylvania in January...but it still hurt a little tonight. Jessica text'd me and said she's 'moving to Mexico'...J.D. suggested Australia, I told him no..there are too many girls with blond hair and green eyes, his weakness. :) This country is resilient. It's idiot-proof. He can't do anything that we can't fix later. We're just taking a few steps backwards...or as I like to say...Barackwards.
I'm glad 102 passed! I love the comments on azcentral.com following the article...whinny little babies, thank you for giving us Mormon's credit by the way...we deserve it we worked hard for that, um because it's important.
Joe Arpaio won! I'm sure the Republic is happy about that!...not! (I like Joe) Shadegg won, J.D. likes him a lot. I just don't like Bob Lord, I just kept noticing all his signs outside of church's and I thought it was just too ironic. That's like totally taking His name in vain. Come on now.
I'm also glad the election is over! It's like planning for a big party, whether everyone shows up or they go to a different party...at the end of the night you clean up and go to bed.
I'm learning something right now, I'm still in the process...so this may sound a little premature/immature/armature...but This... 'insert issue aka the election' - doesn't define me.
PS. One of my friends family all mails their early ballots and goes to Disneyland on Election Day every four years. No lines! No stress! I think its a great idea!
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
I Got Tagged! I was tagged by Corie Green & Heather Wrong, I mean Wright; If you get tagged, Link the person who tagged you (I don't know how to do that, I just copied and pasted this first part).
Mention the rules on your blog.
Tell 6 unspectacular quirky things about you or your family.
Tag 6 fellow bloggers by linking them. Or 3...whatever.
1. "I wear a size 6 but a 7 feel so good I buy a size 8": I can quote Steel Magnolias and I usually do at least once a day, more often if I'm around my sisters. I remember the first time I watched that movie I was in High School, home "sick" and watched it upstairs with my mom. I cried my eyes out! Since then I watched it everytime I was home for anything or couldn't find anything else to watch. That's still common today, it's my default. I really don't have very many DVD's (seriously maybe 25 if you don't count all the kid church movies I have) so if I don't want to watch Juno or Billy Madison...it's Steel Magnolias! It makes me laugh, I love the closeness with the friends in the movie. I also love to torture myself with heartwrenching stories...because I'm a girl, and girls do that. "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."
2. "There is no such thing as natural beauty..just look at me! It takes some effort to look like this!": I wake up at 5:59, a minute before my alarm goes off every morning. I makes me crazy. Thing is, I've always wanted to be one of those "I don't need my alarm clock" people. Just wake up when it's time to wake up. The sound of the alarm is SO ANNOYING! Someday I hope to be able to disable it.
3. "How precious is this wedding gonna get I ask you?" "Mama and I, we agree on one thing...THE GROOMS CAKE. It's awful." I pulled my favorite wedding together in 12 days this summer. J.D. and I got engaged February 8, 2008. We had to submit info to the First Presidency so we could be sealed in the Temple. It took a while to get letters in/approvals/etc. We got a letter from President Monson on July 14 saying we were good to go! We asked our parents what they were doing next weekend, they said nothin so I called the San Diego temple, my mom booked hotel rooms, I bought/altered a dress, picked out pretty flower with sea shells, got our friend/photographer Nick to take the weekend! It was amazing. In OUR case, it didn't take a year to plan a wedding. Just a few days and focus. I think about those couple weeks all the time. I loved how it happened and wouldn't change any of it!!!
4. "Oh Drum would never point a gun at a lady. He's a real gentleman. Bet he takes the dishes outta the sink before he pees in it!" J.D. cooks dinner every night. It's so yummy. He has all his pot and pans goin...I just stay clear. He makes yummy chicken, steak, hamburgers, spaghetti, potatoes always squash and zucchini. Yum. I do the dishes. Yuck.
5. "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" I know I blog about the dog its lame, but Roxy is a super sweetie. When we were researching dogs and I learned about English Bulldog personalities I thought it would be too good to be true. But she's even better! I think the greatest thing about her is that shes not THAT smart. So she doesn't sneak off, she doesn't get into stuff...she doesn't 'figure' stuff out. She is polished enough that all I have to do is grab my keys and she goes in her cage. When we eat she goes to her bed (and stares) and she can sit, lay down and play dead. But only all together and only in that order. :) She's super friendly and meet new friends every time I walk her. Right now we're working on keeping her out of the kitchen (it's just too small) and getting her to stop barking so loud when she thinks someone is opening the back gate. It's so annoying. "I heard you got so screwed you cut your dog out of your will and had an ungrateful nephew put to sleep"
6. "JONATHAN! DON'T YOU DECORATE YOUR SISTER'S CAR WITH CONDOMS, IT'S TACKY!" "Well if you and Jackson want to practice safe sex..you're all set!": Forget that!
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Thursday, October 2, 2008
No big deal. Just a blent (blog vent.)
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
His grandparents lived there for the last 7 years, they recently moved to Texas.
They miss it so much and I can see why, it's beautiful! When they told us they were visiting Pagosa we decided to join them.
They needed some help cleaning out a storage unit they still have a lot of stuff in from the move. We went shopping downtown, played cards, went hot tubbing and of course watched the presidential debate and talked about politics all weekend. :)
thank goodness shes a good girl and we have good friends.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Saturday, September 20, 2008
And I ended up on a bunch of fun peoples blogs tonight, people I haven't seen for a long time, it was awesome.
I'm watching Chelsea Lately. I love her.
A typical week night at the Boyd's
So today at dinner:I had apple juice and dad tells me not to bring my urine sample to the dinner table. It was so funny. Then I told him about heather and her 3 continents, and how you thought mexico was a continent. That was funny too. Then we started talking about Shauna and Erin going to the Kelly Clarkson concert, and dads says "I know who she is" and starts singing "JESUS, TAKE THE WHEEEEEEL." and heather and I start laughing and we're like, no dad. Since U been gone, you know that one and he goes "Oh yeah! SINCE U BEEN GONE, I CAN BREATHE FOR THE FIIIIRST TIME." (with help from heather). It was also funny. Then I started drinking my apple juice. And I notice him eyeing me. And he says "That's so gross." And I tried not to laugh cuz I had my mouth full of apple juice. I couldn't help it, I started busting up. Apple Juice went ALL OVER my plate. Luckily, I was finished. I was laughing soo hard I was crying. I couldn't stop. It was HILARIOUS.
Ali - my lil' sis'
Thursday, September 18, 2008
While we're on the subject, last week in church there was a man in his 40's or 50's holding a sleeping one year old walking around the room before sunday school started. He was holding a device that was not a cell phone, ipod etc. I was interested/could care less. J.D. and I were in our seats waiting for everyone to settle in. Then I hear the man with the baby and the device telling the older ladies which spots of the room were 5-6 degrees warmer than the ones they were sitting in. Of course the smart women grabbed their scriptures and sweaters and changed seats before the rest of the hethens filed in. I need to get me one of those. Air conditioners need a button that says 'comfortable'. Then people just need to stop trying to be the expert and just hit the button.
Im loosing my mind tonight. Actually, its thawing out is all. I'll be okay in the morning.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Saturday, August 23, 2008
The D-back game was a blast tonight, it was 80's night, Gonzo was visiting, we won, and Misty Mae from the Olymics was there, and she showed her Gold medal! It was awesome. Ryan and Kristina were there too, not sitting with us but we met up with them after. Good times.
Friday, August 8, 2008
Saturday, August 2, 2008
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Currently we are in the San Diego Airport, my bag was 10lbs over so we had rearrage, but we did it all without having to throw out my 2 liters of bed head shampoo...whew!! Our flight is 1 hour delayed and didn't have time to pick our seats yesterday and now there are none available together. I might have to turn on my charm in a minute to see what we can do. We will be in Tampa tonight and on the ship Monday!
I love my life....is' the best!!!
Thursday, July 24, 2008
We are getting married in the San Diego Temple on Saturday July 26th @ 3PM. Honeymooning on a Western Carribean Cruise to the Grand Caymans and Cozumel (thank you Laurie!)
Thank you friends and family for being so good to J.D. and I. xoxo
Shauna & J.D. Barker
Sunday, July 6, 2008
I'm not ashamed to admit I am an idea stealer, story stealer...hair tie stealer and pen stealer. I like watching my recorded soap when I get home after work and I'm often reminded 'they are not real people, no matter how screwy Paul Ryan is, he really doesn't exsist.' J.D. and I are engaged and waiting for our 'letter' from SLC so we can move forward with wedding plans. We've been engaged since February 8, 2008. We just got a puppy, her name is Roxy. She's a 6 month old fawn and white english bulldog. She's the end all and be all for us. She's a sweetie.
I'm lucky I met J.D. when I did. Another week and he would have moved to Nashville and camped out on Sarah Evans doorstep until he could convince her to be his. He's what I like to call a keyword short of genius. Let me explian...he knows something about everything and if he doesn't, he's quietly looking it up and becoming an expert. The combination of his ability to retain information and constent seeking for knowledge makes it so he can talk intelligently about every subject. Among friends he is the 'phone a friend' resource right after google. He's also a big sweetheart and a die hard sports fan from baseball to soccer.
WELCOME TO OUR BLOG!!!